Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Impulse To Blame

The urge to blame someone- anyone- when our plans are disrupted or things go badly is. . . . well, it’s human, but often not very helpful. Years ago, running between work and mothering, always a little behind with just a bit more on my daily to-do list than could be accomplished, I often screeched to a halt just in time to make dinner. On one occasion, a little too late in the day, I made a tuna casserole and went to finish responding to emails as it baked in the oven. Too soon the timer rang. I zipped into the kitchen, telling my youngest son Nathan, then fourteen, to set the table. In one smooth motion, like some kind of Olympic speed skater, I skimmed across the kitchen floor while putting on oven mitts, pulled the oven door open, grasped the casserole, and swung around to put it on a pad on the table. And I dropped it. The glass shattered. Steaming tuna and macaroni spewed across the floor tiles. I stood with my mouth open and my eyes wide, unable to look away and overwhelmed with feelings of disbelief and frustration. But before I could even make a sound, Nathan- in a brilliant effort to avoid being targeted unfairly simply because he was the only other person in the room- said with feeling, “Oh no! Who can blame for this?” And all my anger evaporated in laughter. Nathan’s words became my mantra for those times when I’ve found myself semi-consciously fuming about things beyond my control that were messing with my carefully laid plans. Stuck in a traffic jam, late for an appointment: who can we blame for this? Cat threw up outside my bedroom right where I’d step in it as I started my day: who can we blame for this? It never fails to help me take a breath and smile. Oh, I know there are situations for which someone could and hopefully will be held accountable. (If you are looking for examples I’d recommend seeing the movies, “Spotlight” and “The Big Short.”) But even when this is true, unless we are personally in a position to make this happen, life is more easily savoured when we can let go of the blaming and move into what needs to be done. Generally, life is better when we can laugh a little, take a deep breath, scrape the hot tuna off the floor, and start again. ~Oriah "Mountain Dreamer" House (c) 2016


4 comments:

  1. Oriah,
    I found your book "The Call" while moving and was drawn back to the Invitation. I recited the Invitation at a funeral for a 21 year old son who tragically died in a car accident. It described him and his mother wished it spoken. I welcome your re-arrival in my life with the richness of your written voice and imagery. I knew you briefly through Philomene many years ago. In gratitude for guiding me back to my heart.
    Ray Imai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, lovely to reconnect- and thankyou for sharing The Invitation at such a difficult ceremony- I hope it helped the mother- what a great loss that is. Oriah

      Delete
  2. Not sure what happened but I lost my comment. I wanted to say my way of laying the blame has been to hold onto what people say and do and let it hurt me, immobilise in some cases. I don't know why but I don't want to anymore. "The Invitation" came at the right time in my life. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, amazing how we can at times repeat a barbed comment in our head and hurt ourselves over and over, long after the other has forgot saying it. So glad you have found freedom from this.

      Delete